Bank or Pontoon Lifeguard
Bank or Pontoon Lifeguard
You will be operating as one team, but split into smaller ‘crews’ covering a number of locations:
- Swim start pontoon & dunk zone – supervising participants as they get into the water and acclimatise prior to the start of their wave.
- Swim exit pontoon – assisting participants as they exit the swim, and offering them a hand out of the water.
- Medical evacuation pontoon – the location where any casualties will be brought to. You’ll need to help with the handover of any casualties to the medical team.
Throughout the course of the day, you’ll be rotating around the various positions (if applicable), and also getting a chance to rest. There will be a team leader who’ll ensure the rotation is taking place on time, throughout the day.
You will be provided with a yellow t-shirt/bib to wear, but please also take note of the following kit to bring with you:
- Red shorts – plain (ideally).
- Water shoes/flip flops – the matting covering the pontoon can be uncomfortable on your feet.
- Wetsuit (advisable if you have one or feel the cold – you may be standing knee deep in water at the swim exit pontoon).
- Warm layers – jumper/hoodie – for cooler weather.
- Waterproof jacket (in wet weather your yellow t-shirts can be worn over the top of jackets).
- Whistle – it is important everyone has one please, there will be some spares available to borrow.
- Drysuit – only in extreme conditions.
Before the first wave of an event, we will always carry out some casualty evacuation drills at the medical pontoon involving the Rescue Boats. This is so you’re familiar with the process in the unlikely event that we have to extract a casualty from the water for a serious medical issue.
There are certain qualifications or experience you will need to be part of the bank based lifeguard team. For you to be accepted on the team you’ll need to hold at least one of the following qualifications. The list below is by no means exhaustive so please get in touch if you hold an award not listed.
You must list and upload all relevant qualifications onto the registration system so that we are able to see these when selecting teams for events.
- RLSS Beach / Pool Lifeguard
- RLSS Open Water Lifeguard
- SLSGB Beach Lifeguard
- BCU Lifeguards Assistant / Core Lifeguard / SESA
- BCU Foundation / White Water Safety & Rescue
- Swiftwater Rescue Technician
- DEFRA Water Rescue Technician (Module 1, 2 or 3)
At some events, you may be required to assist with the recovery of casualties from rescue boats. You will be briefed and provided with training ahead of this eventuality. Video of Bank lifeguard extraction role